MoneyWorks emergency loan
Help in a crisis.
Formerly known as the Newham Community and Crisis Support scheme. A loan to help with expenses in an emergency or if you are vulnerable and experiencing severe hardship. If you have an extreme emergency and there is no other way for you to get help, you may be offered a MoneyWorks Emergency loan. It is important to understand that you will have to pay it back.
MoneyWorks emergency loans offer:
- A safety net for Newham residents in an emergency
- Support to help vulnerable people move into or stay in the community
- Support if you are under exceptional pressure
Emergency Loans are provided by Newham Council and have replaced crisis loans and community care, which were given out by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).
*Terms and conditions apply, this loan calculator is to be used as a rough guide only, not a factual representation. Please consult a specialist to learn more.
Who can get an emergency loan?
You can apply if you:
- Are aged 18 or over
- Are receiving a qualifying benefit such as Jobseeker's Allowance, Employment & Support Allowance, Income Support, Pension Credit or Housing Benefit
- Have lived in Newham for at least six months (for crisis support) or 12 months (for community support)
- Do not have savings you can use to cover the emergency
Please note that the MoneyWorks Emergency Loan is discretionary, which means that you do not have a legal right to receive one. If you are in extreme need but are not sure if you qualify for an Emergency Loan, contact us for advice.
What can it be used for ?
You may be able to get Community Support for basic necessities such as furniture and white goods and clothing if you are leaving institutional care or being resettled, or if you are looking after someone.
You may be able to get Crisis Support if you are going through a disaster or an emergency and getting the support is the only way to stop the situation causing harm to you or someone in your household. Support will help to pay for food, fuel, and other basic living expenses.
Paying you your loan
It is important to understand that you will have to pay it back.
We do not give out cash. Instead, we help you directly with your needs. For example, if you need help with fuel costs, we would give you a voucher that can only be used for fuel.
How we use your personal information?
Information which you provide or which we obtain through your dealings with us will be held securely with Newham MoneyWorks. We will use your information as applicable and this may include:
- Keep in contact with you and provide you with the best service you deserve
- MoneyWorks may pass your personal data to Newham Council other departments, internal agencies & systems, London Community Credit Union (LCCU)
- Debt counselling or other specialist service providers if needed
- The Department for Work and Pensions or HM Revenue and Customs
- Data Processors who act on our behalf
- We retain personal information for as long as is necessary
- To find out more about how we process personal information, please read our Privacy & Data Processing Notice
By submitting a loan application, you are giving your consent/agreeing to your personal information being used in this way.
We work in partnership with London Community Credit Union (LCCU) to offer residents better deals on financial products as well as help with debts and money management.